Fun with Food Summer Camp
June 19-23, 2017
Why Come to Camp?Camp Goal:
To provide an opportunity for children to be involved with food from the farm to the table.
- Become acquainted with food and food production
- Be exposed to new food and flavors
- Utilize math skills through measuring
- Utilize reading skills to follow recipes
- Utilize time management and planning skills in meal preparation
- Understand importance of food safety
- Participate in games to promote learning and physical activity
Sylvia Byrd, Samantha Willcutt, Caitlin Milne, and local chefs, along with nutrition graduate and undergraduate students from the Department of Food Science, Nutrition, and Health Promotion will lead the camp.
Who is this camp for?
Children entering 3rd - 6th Grade
What Does It Cost?
Camp costs $250 per cild and includes tee shirt, meals, snacks, and field trips. Enrollment is limited to 20 children with a June 9th deadline for registration.
- Introduction to the Kitchen and Cooking Utensils
- Measuring with Math
- Knife Skills
- Tour Food Processing Plant and Sensory Lab
- Introduction to Fruits and Vegetables
- Tour Garden
- Healthy Snacks
- Introduction to Bread and Cereals
- Tour Cheese Plant & Dairy Farm
- Introduction to Dairy
- Tour of Animal Production Unit
- Food Safety
- Introduction to Meats
- Tour Grocery Store
- Camp Graduation